The awesome post of blogs.wcode.org  on how to get openCV up and running helped a lot, thanks!
Although there were some things I had to add to get everything I needed. Basically the openCV contrib (SIFT, …)  and some additions within cmake to get it to build and run.
Here is a quick overview of what I did, mixed my own findings with what blogs.wcode.org suggested in :
1) Download opencv from  and extract
2) Make directories ‘StaticLib’ and ‘contrib’ within the the extracted folder
3) Run CMAKE and make the following Settings:
- OPENCV_EXTRA_MODULES_PATH: <opencv-extra-contrib-path>
4) Configure (select UNIX Makefiles) and Generate
5) Make and install
6) Check e.g. in python if everything works: